Friday, December 14, 2007

She said she tought Hip Hop was only guns and alcohol

It used to annoy the poo out of me. Yes, the poo. This thing we call rap music. This machine. No one could change my opinion on the matter no matter how hard they tried. And it was tried. It was pounded. To the point where I was laying drooling in a daze of drunken hypocrisy spouting "yo, yo" and drinking wild irish rose.
I liked the Beastie Boys alot and felt that foray into "rap" music was enough for me. I was a little white girl in the suburbs and related more to Ben Folds lamenting the booming bass in the car next to him then to the "ghetto music" coming from down the hall. I was really immersed in Radiohead. I was depressed. I liked to sulk. I was an idiot. I had a real strange disconnection with people. And I hadn't yet discovered liquor. My stoned days were coming to an end. I was becoming too paranoid. A regular paranoid android. And I hated the thoughts that came to mind about other people. I had vicious thoughts about them. Thoughts about how much of a fucking idiot they were for just saying whatever they had so happened to say at the time. I couldn't even fake stone laugh. I hated realizing I was stoned. And that was happening alot. With alcohol it's the last thought from your mind. As long as your wasted that is. I always thought I could drive. People said I was a good drunk driver.

ANYWAY!

It got to a point in my life where I was tired of being sad. And listening to sad music. You can only listen to Thom Yorke, curl up in a ball and piss reality for so long. I had to admit to myself that I generally liked life. That I generally like people. And I generally like being happy. And in that I had to realize I generally liked the Outkast song "B.O.B." (Bombs over Baghdad for you's out there who don't know). It was a monumental step. I went to Best Buy with my friend Matt. And I picked up that album, I picked up Stankonia. I remember him saying, "You should buy Aquemini; its a lot better." But I didn't know. I remember buying "The Love Below/Speakerboxx" and realizing...I'm going over the edge and it's awesome.
It wouldn't be until I started dating my boyfriend from another mother that I got to listen to Aquemini. He had a janky copy. He had stolen it from one of his sister's friends. We both doubt she noticed. I would steal it from him alot.
When you think about what albums, CDs, etc. you would want to have with you on a deserted island, with a kickin' sound system, what would you think of? I always think about this and I come to only one definite selection. No not Radiohead. To me there is no definate Radiohead CD. OK Computer is too wonderful and thus goes into a realm of "too good to be true". It's like that with Beck's "Odelay". Not one song misses and yet it's almost too perfect to listen to repeatedly. And what is that CD?! Why Aquemini of course!
And this is why;
I found very unexpected things in Aquemini. My perceptions of what a CD, let alone a rap CD should be were exploded. It opened my mind to aspects of life that I could relate to. I found soul mates out of two Southern playas from ATL. Is that supposed to happen? I think people think that is an odd thing. I think it is an odd thing at times. But there are parts of Aquemini laced with the sort of inspiration I had been lounging for. There are things that are spoken and beats that whisper though that bring me a smile or pound my fist. With Outkast it's like...rebellion. Not because I'm some little white girl in Muncie listening to rap music. There's a lot of white people that listen to rap music. It's because I'm a person and I feel the tulmutulous vibes echoing though like any other person/human being. I can't explain it myself. Sometimes the words speak more. Duh. And sometimes I lose my train of thought....

"Synthesizer, microwave me
Give me a drug so I can make seven babies
Pump my breasts up, can you suck the fat up
Please make my life appear
like ain't no such thing as bad luck
My, nose ain't right
Like I need a new one
Just take your pick, a yellow red
A black or a blue one
Virtual reality, virtual, BULLSHIT
Synthesizer preachers can reach you
up in the pulpit
Who a bitch?
Give me my gat so I can smoke this nigga
Tell his mamma not to cry
because they can clone him quicker
than it took his daddy to make him
Niggaz bitin verbatim
Thought provokin records radio never played dem
Instant, quick grits, new, improved
Hurry hurry, rush rush, world on the move
Marijuana illegal but cigarettes cool
I might LOOK kinda funny but I ain't no fool
Now if you wanna synthesize I emp-athize
Now if you wanna synthesize I emp-athize
But if you synthesize I will understand
your synthesizer man"

She said she tought Hip Hop was only guns and alcohol
I said "Oh hell naw!" but yet it's that too
You can't discrimahate because you done read a book or two

1 comment:

Puglet said...

Ya know, I love this post. I'm totally bobbling my head in agreement, and am about to start listening to some ghettoness of my own. of course, since I just came back from India, it's actually like a hindi/bollywood/Timbaland hybrid, but still...